This Turkish Menemen recipe is packed with flavour, super easy to rustle up, and perfect if you need to use up some veg in the fridge. I’ll be adding Harissa paste to my recipe for some extra punch. You may also customise it to suit you, adding more spice if that’s your thing, as well as an unlimited possibility of veg. Peppers and tomatoes however is a must!
For easy prep, you can also fry a larger batch to refrigerate for a few days before baking. You really can add any veg you fancy to this dish but i’ll post what i’ve used in the shopping list at the bottom.
With my prep from this dish, the next day I baked another couple of portions and plated it in a tortilla wrap which was just awesome, highly recommended.
The Method: Turkish Menemen Recipe
1. Heat some olive oil in a large pan and add the sliced onions for around 7-8 minutes until soft.
2. Throw in the cumin & chilli and fry for another minute, before adding the peppers for another couple of minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and harissa paste, breaking them down in the pan into a pulp and season well. Fry for around 5 minutes, occasionally stirring.
This is the point where you can save half if you intend to refrigerate it.
4. If necessary transfer your mix into an oven proof dish. Make creators in the mix with the back of your spoon, and crack the eggs into them.
5. Cover with foil and bake at 200°C (390°F) for 5 minutes. Uncover and bake for a further 5 minutes, or until you’re happy with your egg.
6. Serve on a slice of toast or in a tortilla wrap. Tuck in & enjoy.
Shopping List: Turkish Menemen Recipe (serves 2)
Peppers x 2 (sliced)
1/2 Onion (finely sliced)
Cherry Tomatoes x 12 (quartered)
Harissa Paste (1 teaspoon)
Cumin (1 teaspoon)
1/2 Chilli (finely chopped)
Toast (or tortilla wrap) to serve