This potato hash with poached egg recipe was a combination of several similar dishes I had seen, a perfect vegetarian plate for a brunch or lunch dish, ideal for one or a group. The chilli and soy bring an Asian undertone to the flavour of this otherwise fantastically French cooking. The soft poached yolk adds for the perfect sauce that brings everything together very nicely indeed.
The hash is super easy and can be made in a large pan to serve a group of friends. The key to cooking this is patience when frying the onions. Use a low heat and don’t stir too much, you want the onions to caramelise before you add any of the other ingredients.
Poached eggs are a bug bare for many people out there, my advice would be use a decent amount of salt in your water, stir the water quickly to get a strong circular current, and use a ramekin to pour your egg into the centre. Once the egg is in, don’t touch it until the egg white has fully wrapped around the yolk and the water has settled, 2 minutes should be perfect, a little longer for a larger egg.
The Method (full ingredients list below)
1. Finely slice the onions and fry on a low to medium heat for around 10 minutes breaking up in the pan with your spatula, until caramelised.
2. In the meantime, peal and grate your potato, and finely chop your chilli and chives.
3. Add the butter, potato, chilli, most of the chives, season with salt, pepper & soy. Mix together and fry on a medium to high heat for around 8 minutes, occasionally folding in with your spatula.
4. When you have around 4 minutes left, crack your egg into a ramekin. Create a strong circular current in your salted water (about 1.5″ from the base of the pan) and once simmering, add your egg. Wait for the egg white to finish wrapping around the yolk & the water to settle before disturbing it. After around 2 minutes remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place onto a kitchen towel to absorb any excess water. If you’re using large eggs this will take 2.5 to 3 mins.
5. Plate the hash, placing the poached egg on top. Sprinkle the rest of the chives and season with salt, pepper and a splash of soy sauce. Tuck in and enjoy.
Shopping list (2 servings)
- Eggs x 2
- White onion (finely sliced
- Baking potato x 1
- Half a chilli (finely chopped)
- Chives (finely chopped)
- 25g Unsalted butter
- Soy sauce
- Salt & pepper
Follow us on instagram & sign up below for recipe updates.