Vegetarian wholemeal quesadillas… quite a mouthful.
This is an adaption of a recipe with basically what I had lying around and it was probably one of the best quesadillas I’ve tasted. This dish is also vegetarian which is ace, as well as being a perfect lunch or dinner plate.
The fried tomato, onion & pepper is brought together with some harissa paste, which has a surprisingly refreshing taste, whilst packing the dish full of those classic, Mexican style flavours that we all love. After using this for the first time I think my house is going to be seeing a lot more of these flavours, absolutely delicious!
1. Chop your spring onion, quarter the tomatoes and finely slice the peppers, throw them into a pan with some olive or chilli oil and fry on a medium to high heat until the moisture starts boiling out of the tomatoes. Then add 2 teaspoons of harissa paste and fry for a further 2 minutes then set aside in a bowl.
2. In the meantime, beat three eggs into a scramble, add salt and pepper along with your crème fraîche, add to the pan with a little more oil on a medium heat, stirring continuously until you get the eggs to your desired texture and set aside.
3. Heat a griddle pan on a medium to high heat, add your tortilla base, then layer your veg base, eggs, cheese and a sprinkle of coriander and ground cumin, then cook for 4 minutes. Flip the quesadilla if you have a big enough spatula, or alternatively grill it on a medium heat for a further 3 minutes.
4. Transfer to a chopping board, slice with a pizza cutter and serve on a plate with more coriander, a quarter of squeezed lime and some seasoning. Tuck in & enjoy.
Shopping List (2 servings)
- Eggs x 3
- Crème fraîche (1 tablespoon)
- Mature cheddar
- Spring onion x 4
- Half a lime
- Cherry tomatoes x 12
- Harissa Paste
Follow us on instagram & subscribe below for updates.
#vegetarianfood #vegetarianquesadillas #mexicanfood